Remove Microsoft Account On Windows 10: Most of the users have a Gmail account on their windows 10 pc, which is quite sufficient. However, a Microsoft account must use many of its services and products such as OneDrive and Office Online. But over time, many discontinue Microsoft services or products. At other times, you may start by using someone else’s account initially and then realize it is better to have a separate account or sometimes have an old account replaced with a new one. Such instances call for a removing of Microsoft Account on Windows10.
However, when you are closing a Microsoft account, Microsoft’s team wants to make sure of two important issues. Firstly, it is you and not some other person who is trying to close your account. And secondly, to ensure that you are not having anything important in the account you want to delete. So, Microsoft usually checks for your identity and intent before closing your account to prevent it from being accidentally closed and for privacy concerns.
Precautions Before Closing Or Removing Microsoft Account:
- Go through the list of products and services that you are using through your Microsoft account.
- Find out what happens when you close your account. For example, your Skype ID, Outlook.com, Hotmail, and MSN email accounts will also be deleted.
- Xbox Live Data and Gamer tag services will also end. Any unused Reward points and Microsoft certification associated with the Microsoft Account Tag will also end.
Therefore, first, take ample time to cancel the subscriptions and transfer or save information such as files, money from gift cards, emails, etc.
First and foremost, it is better to have a local account on your PC first.
To create a local account on your Windows 10 PC, please follow the below steps:
- Press the Windows button + R and then type ‘netplwiz.’ Click on the OK button.
- Then click on Add, select the ‘Sign in without a Microsoft account (not recommended).’
Click on ‘Local Account’ and then type a username and password.
- After that, click on ‘Next.’ Finally, click on the ‘finish’ button.
- Now, all steps are completed. Sign out from the Microsoft account that you are currently using and want to delete. Log in from the new local account that you just created and then remove your Microsoft account on Windows 10 PC, which you no longer need.
The steps to remove a Microsoft account from your Windows 10 are as follows:
- From the start button, go to the Settings section.
- Under settings, click on Accounts and scroll downwards. Click on the ‘Microsoft Account,’ which you want to delete. Read and check all the information properly.
3.Now click on Remove and confirm the action by clicking on the ‘Yes’ button.
So, the process is very simple to remove the Microsoft account on windows 10.
Removing Account from Device Only
There is another method where you can remove an account from your device only.
This means the account will not be deleted, but all content associated with the account will be removed from the device. The procedure to do it is as follows:
- Go to the Start button and then go to Settings.
- Go to Accounts, and then to Email & Accounts. Under the section ‘Accounts used by Email’, select the account you want to delete and then click on ‘Manage.’
- Select ‘Delete account from this device’ and press on the delete button again to reconfirm.
Removing Account from Apps Only
- From the Start button and then to the Settings.
- Go to the Account section and from there to ‘Email & Accounts.’
- Under the ‘Accounts used by other Apps’ section, select the account you want to remove and click on the ‘Remove’ button.
- Click on ‘Yes’ to confirm the removal.
Usually, there is a certain waiting period of at least 60 days before Microsoft permanently deletes your Microsoft account. So, use this waiting period to access something you might have forgotten earlier to access and save. In case you have a change of mind and want to reactivate the account, then sign in again within those 60 days. The account closure process will be canceled, and the Microsoft Account will work as usual.
As a precautionary measure, it is best to keep the Microsoft Account free and does not have any restrictions on its usage. You can log in any time you want. However, if you have created another new Microsoft account, it is better to delete the previous old account. Please note all contacts, all emails, attachments, etc. will be deleted. So please ensure that all the important data is backed up properly from your OneDrive account to your PC. Once that is done, you can safely remove your Microsoft account from Windows10. So take your time and remove the Microsoft Account after considering all the details carefully.